OFFER DEADLINE30/06/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEHE / MSCA
ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Antwerp
LABORATORYµNEURO Research Centre of Excellence
The µNEURO Research Centre of Excellence (University of Antwerp, Belgium) welcomes expressions of interest from postdoctoral researchers with a strong scientific track record to jointly prepare a high-quality proposal for a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship in the field of neurosciences and/or neuro-imaging.
Antwerp is a dynamic and prosperous city in the north of Belgium and is well connected by train to major European cities like Brussels (30 minutes), Amsterdam (75 minutes), London (3 hours) and Paris (2 hours). The University of Antwerp is a dynamic and forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. For several years now the University ranks top-20 in the “Top 50 Universities Under 50 years”. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The µNEURO Research Centre of Excellence strives to conduct interdisciplinary, top-level translational neuroscience research on a cell-to-organism wide scale. Our consortium is a unique combination of experts in fundamental, preclinical and clinical research on neurological diseases and quantitative multimodal ((pre)clinical) imaging and analysis experts. The µNEURO professors have a strong experience in research projects with both academic and private partners, including European-funded projects.
The core mission of µNEURO consists of the following objectives:
- Development and integration of multi-dimensional interrogation methods
- Development of a translational platform for diagnostic biomarkers and therapeutic compounds
- Obtaining a panoptic view on neuropathological diseases of the nervous system and their causative mechanisms
We welcome research topics that align with at least one of the core objectives of µNEURO, including but not limited to:
The integration of multi-scale and multi-modal neuro-imaging datasets (MRI, PET, microscopy, histology, electrophysiology, genetic information, …).
Development of advanced image processing methods for MRI (relaxometry, diffusion, resting state fMRI, …), microscopy and/or PET.
Application of these methodologies in cellular models (including organoids), animal models or humans to unravel pathogenic mechanisms underlying neurological diseases (neurodegenerative disorders, Huntington’s disease, epilepsy, peripheral neuropathies, …).
Identification of early (imaging-based) biomarkers for neurological diseases.
Identification of disease mechanisms and potential common pathways in disorders of the central, peripheral and/or enteric nervous system (gut-brain axis).
Applicants are invited to read more about the expertise and research lines of the individual professors and research groups involved in µNEURO via our website. Your proposal will be matched with the expertise of one of the µNEURO professors as your future supervisor.
About MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Horizon Europe MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships (MSCA PF) are postdoctoral fellowships for experienced researchers looking to give their career a boost by working abroad. The grant provides a living allowance to cover your salary costs and has a duration of 12-24 months (European Fellowships) or 24-36 months (Global Fellowships). In addition to the living allowance, you will receive a mobility allowance and - if applicable- a family allowance. The deadline for submission of a full research proposal, written jointly with your future µNEURO supervisor, is 15 September 2021 (tbc).
Only candidates that meet the eligibility and evaluation criteria for an MSCA PF can apply:
- You obtained a PhD degree (at the latest by the time of the MSCA PF call deadline).
- You have no more than 8 years of research experience after obtaining your PhD (excluding experience outside research and career breaks).
- You did not reside or work in Belgium for more than 12 months during the 36 months before the call deadline.
- You have an excellent track record with several high-quality and impactful publications.
In addition, you have the following profile:
- Your research qualities are in line with the university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can speak and write fluently in English
What we offer
- A stimulating, interdisciplinary environment for high-level neuroscience research.
- Support and guidance for the preparation of your MSCA PF proposal from your future supervisor and the µNEURO research manager.
- An informative MSCA-PF starter package, a dedicated training session “Preparing for an Horizon Europe MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship” (June 2021), advise on institutional aspects and horizontal issues (open science, gender, ethics and research data management) and administrative support from the Grants office of the University of Antwerp.
- Advise and comprehensive support from the International Staff Office of the University of Antwerp for incoming international researchers.
How to apply?
You can submit your application via e-mail to Liesbeth.Vanherp@uantwerpen.be with subject line “µNEURO MSCA PF proposal”. Your application must include of a pdf file with the following documents:
- A one-page motivation letter
- Your academic CV, including a complete list of your publications and contact info of two references.
- A one-page project proposal, shortly explaining the project you envisage for your MSCA PF and how this project aligns with the mission of µNEURO and the expertise of your envisaged µNEURO supervisor (see website).
The deadline for expressions of interest is the 30th of June 2021.
Your proposal will be evaluated in consultation with the µNEURO members, based on your track record, the relevance of your proposal to the research performed in µNEURO and the MSCA PF evaluation criteria. Selected applicants will be contacted for an exploratory interview and if successful, supported during the preparation of a full MSCA PF proposal.
For more information, you can contact Liesbeth Vanherp (µNEURO Research Manager, Liesbeth.Vanherp@uantwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.