OFFER DEADLINE04/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMENot funded by an EU programme
ORGANISATION/COMPANYMaimonides Biomedical Research Institute of Cordoba - IMIBIC
LABORATORYKnowledge Discovery and Intelligent Systems in Biomedicine
IMIBIC HOSTING OFFER:
La Caixa INPhINIT INCOMING Doctoral Fellowship Programme Call 2021
Prof. Sebastián Ventura Soto (email@example.com)
RESEARCH PROJECT/RESEARCH GROUP
KDIS group: http://www.uco.es/kdis
Research Project / Research Group Description
Knowledge discovery has become a highly relevant task in areas where huge volumes of data daily gathered by information systems make impossible the applicability of traditional analysis to extract valuable insights. The key element in the process of eliciting useful knowledge is the pattern, denoting any type of homogeneity and regularity in data, and describing intrinsic and important properties of data, and they are required to be novel, significant, unexpected, nontrivial and actionable.
Thanks to the Big Data revolution, actions to be taken from the discovered insights are often of extreme relevance, especially in precision medicine. Here, the expert requirements are highly complex so expectations are hardly fulfilled with the insights discovered by conventional approaches since gathered information is not adapted to the special needs of each very patient. It should be highlighted that the individual variability in disease prevention, care and treatment is required to be understood.
The main objective of this PhD project is to provide mechanisms to soften the original rigid data representations to give rise to user-centric patterns. These patterns describe more valuable knowledge since they are tailored for each specific situation, which is the basis for precision medicine. Additionally, they are much more actionable since they are based on the user’s requirements. The final aim is to provide specific and accurate medical alerts on different branches of medical practice. In the development of this project, the candidate will design and implement methods in which data should be handled to produce more actionable and valuable insights. These methods can be grouped into three categories: mechanisms to deal with concepts on different levels of abstraction; approaches to handle ambiguity on the space of records; and mechanisms to extract knowledge on multiple data sources.
Job position description
The PhD position will be developed in the research laboratory “Knowledge Discovery and Intelligent Systems in Biomedicine”, belonging to the Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute of Cordoba (IMIBIC).
The Institute is structured in research groups that cooperate in the implementation of its various scientific programmes. Its major goal is to promote biomedical innovation as a powerful engine for economic and social development. To this end, the Institute offers an active environment in which to conduct high-level scientific research. Regular seminars and research events offer the opportunity to meet with national and international speakers covering a diverse range of topics in biomedicine, including the use of artificial intelligence techniques and medicine of precision. Advanced training of the PhD students belonging to our research laboratory is further provided through the Doctoral Program in Advanced Computing of the University of Cordoba. This program gives access to the Dual PhD program with the Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, USA). This represents a big advantage as our PhD students can graduate in both Universities.
The IMIBIC building is located within the University Health Sciences Campus, near the Reina Sofia University Hospital. It hosts a wide variety of core facilities for researchers, including the Biomedical Research Support Units that hosts brand new equipment and laboratories to support the technical needs of the IMIBIC community, as well as a Clinical Research Unit to support clinical trial research.
How to Search for this offer:
You can find this offer via the Offer Finder, available at https://finder.lacaixafellowships.org/finder
Select “IMIBIC – Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute to Cordoba” from the dropdown list under “HOST ORGANIZATION”
You can also search the position by its title "USER-CENTRIC PATTERNS TO DESCRIBE MEDICAL ALERTS" under " Search by project title / Job position / Positions description".
1) At the call deadline (4th Feb 2021), applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
2) At the time of recruitment, candidates must comply with one of the following options:
- To have completed the studies that lead to an official university degree adapted to the European Higher Education Area awarding 300 ECTS credits, of which at least 60 ECTS credits must correspond to master level.
- To have completed a degree in university not adapted to the European Higher Education Area that gives access to doctoral studies. The verification of an equivalent level of studies to the ones mentioned above will be made by the university when the admission procedure starts.
3) Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline (4th Feb 2021). Short stays, such as holidays, done in a country other than their country of usual residence (where they carried out their main activity), will be considered as time spent in their country of usual residence.
4) Candidates must have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
5) Only candidates whose applications meet all the requirements of the call may be accepted.
How to Apply:
If you want to apply for an INPhINIT fellowship, click on the link below to create your personal account and fill in the on-line application form: https://candidate.lacaixafellowships.org/login
4 February 2021: Application deadline.
18 February 2021: Deadline for submitting the language certificate.
22 April 2021: Notification of the shortlist results.
25, 26 and 27 May 2021: Face-to-face interviews in Barcelona.
7 June 2021: Publication of the final list of selected candidates.
7 – 30 June 2021: Matching between the research centres – fellows.
Call for application:
Email (for questions concerning the host organisation IMIBIC):
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.