Have your ever received an inspiring not-so-expected piece of advice that at some point could change your life?
Researcher professional lives are versatile and diverse. Their competences and skills are extremely valuable in many different jobs and sectors. However, early career researchers do not always have the information and contacts that give them access to these options beyond academia.
REBECA wants to facilitate that young researchers from all over Europe reflect on their options beyond academia. During 6 months, the mentoring programme will put in touch early stage researchers working in European academic institutions with highly skilled professionals working in Europe in industry, management, and other sectors beyond academia related with science, engineering, mathematics, social science and humanities disciplines.
The programme will facilitate a minimum of 6 meetings, where mentors and mentees will get to know each other, share their experiences and reflect on their professional perspectives. Organizers will provide the structure and contents to inspire a fruitful and beneficial relationship between pairs.
What is new in REBECA by EURAXESS?
- This is an activity of the EURAXESS Hubs project and has a European-wide approach
- Mentors and mentees will come from different countries, so expect transnational pairs
- Stay tuned for additional activities:
- Match-making events
- REBECA by EURAXESS online community
If you want to learn more about previous editions:
REBECA by EURAXESS Key elements
- Support young researchers in their reflection on their career goals, skills and professional options.
- Facilitate intergenerational, intersectoral and intercultural networking of research professionals.
- Support young researchers to get exposed to other professional careers by the hand of highly skilled professionals.
- Facilitate talent transfer from the academic sector to the private sector.
- Build stronger relationships between the academic sector and the private sector.
- The trainings and networking sessions for mentees and mentors will take place on-line
- The meetings of pairs will be mostly virtual
- On-line match-making events
- On-line community
- The exchange of information is based on altruism
- Mentors are expected to share their professional experience with mentees
- Mentees will have the responsability of leading the pairs' communication
- 6-months (ca. January 2022 to June 2022)
- An average of 1 meeting per month is expected
- A kick-off training session will be offered for mentors and mentees to facilitate their respective roles
- Mentees will be offered with several trainings related to exploring career options beyond academia and increasing their employability
Topics recommended to address include:
- Professional career expectations.
- Career development needs for moving beyond academia.
- Key transferable skills.
- Key technical skills.
- Differences between academic and non-academic environments.
- Exploration of options beyond academia.
- Academia-Business engagement.
- Deep reflection on skills:
- Gender and diversity dimension
- How to build your network
- Conflict management
- Time and self-management
- Work and life balance
- Self-reflection and increase of awareness of career achievements and accomplishments vs job requirements.
- Setting up careers goals.
We are looking for...
Application phase (November 2021)
- Identification and selection of mentors.
- Public call for researchers interested in the programme
- Selection will try to ensure a good geographic, gender, and thematic distribution of participants
Guidance phase (January 2022)
- Matching of mentors and mentees according to their particular interests in the programme.
- Kick off phase: includes training sessions for mentors and mentees to facilitate mentorship process.
- REBECA Handbook provided
Mentoring phase (February-July 2022)
- Mentors and mentees to meet on average once a month.
- Mentees to take specific online trainings (max 4-6 hours).
- Voluntary networking events.
- Match-making events
The registration for mentors and mentees is now closed
Pairs selected will be announced in late January 2022
If you are interested or would like more information, please contact us