Do I need a short-stay visa?


The first aspect researchers must take into account to determine whether or not they have to apply for a visa to enter Spain is their nationality. Some researchers may not require a visa at all or only need one for stays of more than three months, or have to apply for one regardless of the type of stay.

        - Member States of the EEA and Switzerland: researchers from Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, the Netherlands, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the United Kingdom, the Czech Republic, Romania, Sweden and Switzerland do not need to apply for a visa to enter or reside in Spain.

        - Third countries: The second group of countries to be taken into account are those included in the EU regulation which stipulates that the list of third countries whose nationals are exempt from visa requirements when crossing the external borders of the Union, proving their stay does not exceed 90 days. The following list was last updated in October 2016.

        - Other countries: Nationals from any other countries that have not been mentioned above are required to apply for a visa in order to enter Spain, regardless of the type of stay.