SHARING AND LEARNING
Have your ever received an inspiring not-so-expected piece of advice that at some point could change your life?
Researchers' professional lifes are versatile and diverse. Their competences and skills are extremely valuable in many different jobs and sectors. REBECA wants to facilitate young researchers reflect about their options beyond academia.
REBECA aims at putting in touch 50 early stage researchers with an interest in exploring new career options with highly skilled professionals working beyond academia, in order to structure an inspiring and fruitful relationship between them that will support these researchers in their professional career and personal growth.
This edition of REBECA is implemented and managed by FECYT in its role of EURAXESS Spain coordinator.
20% of the mentee positions will be available for researchers currently working outside of Spain.
The first edition was implemented in 2019 as a pilot within the EURAXESS TOP IV project. You can find information about previous editions and results here:
REBECA KEY ELEMENTS
- Supporting young researchers in their reflection about career goals, competencies and professional options, by putting them in contact with highly skilled professionals outside of academia.
- Building an intergenerational and intersectoral network of professionals with interest in supporting early stage researchers to advance in their careers.
- Promoting researcher careers in professional environments outside of academia.
- Improving the connections between academia and other sectors
- The training and the mentor/mentee meetings will be organized virtually.
- We aim at creating altruistic personal connections
- 6 MONTHS PROGRAMME
- Mentors will be supported to facilitate their mentoring role.
- Mentors and mentees are expected to meet at least 6 times.
- TOPICS recommended to address include
- Professional career aspirations
- What is “Moving Beyond Academia” about?
- What are the key differences between the academic and non-academic sectors?
- Branching out: beyond academia and industry
- Key hard skills
- Key soft skills
- Deepen into some soft skills:
- Gender considerations for STEM professionals
- How to network
- Conflict management
- Time management: life-work balance
- Self-awareness: over-qualification vs impostor syndrome
- Career progression
- What have we achieved? What comes next?
- Identification and recruitment of mentors
- Open call for mentors
- Open call for early stage researchers as mentees
The application phase has been closed (1st December)
- Mentor-mentee pairing based on common interests in the programme
- Getting ready for mentoring meetings, including a kick-off and guiding webinar for mentors and mentees
- Mentoring pairs will meet an average of once per month (6 meetings)
- On-line training workshops for mentees (min. 2 trainings)
- Ad hoc networking meetings
- Satisfaction survey to participants
- Analysis and publication of results
*Disclaimer: Due to COVID-19 pandemic, dates may be subject of minor adjustments
You can download here the REBECA 2020 leaflet (720 KB)
The following organizations have actively collaborated in the organization of REBECA 2020-2021, particularly through the engagement of mentors
If you are interested or would like more information, please contact us