SHARING AND LEARNING
Have your ever received an inspiring not-so-expected piece of advice that at some point could change your life?
REBECA aims at putting in touch 40 early stage researchers with an interest in exploring new career options with highly skilled professionals working beyond academia, in order to structure an inspiring and fruitful relationship between them that will support these researchers in their professional career and personal growth.
Researchers professional lifes are versatile and diverse. Their competences and skills are extremely valuable in many different jobs and sectors. REBECA wants to facilitate young researchers reflect about their options beyond academia.
REBECA´S KEY ELEMENTS
- Support young researchers in their reflection about their career goals
- Facilitate intergenerational and intersectoral networking of science professionals
- The training and the mentor/mentee meetings will be organized virtually and will be offered in English. Since most mentors will be based in Spain, the mentor/mentee meetings are expected to be mainly conducted in Spanish
- We aim at creating altruistic personal connections
- 6 MONTHS PROGRAMME
- Mentors will have a 2 hours virtual training
- Mentors and mentees are expected to meet at least 6 times.
- TOPICS recommended to address include:
- Professional career aspirations
- Career development needs for moving beyond academia
- Key soft skills
- Academia-Business engagement
- Gender issues
- How to network
- Mentees will also be offered with several online trainings related to alternative careers for researchers
- Identification and selection of mentors
- Public call for researchers interested in the programme.
The application phase ended up in May 15th. Learn more about it at: https://www.euraxess.es/spain/news/application-phase-mentoring-programme-researchers-beyond-academia-rebeca-ends.
We have received 115 expressions of interest to participate in the programme as mentors. REBECA is designed to work with a maximum of 40 mentors. We will evaluate the profile of all the professionals expressing an interest in supporting the career development of young researchers and will try to accommodate the more appropriate mentors for the programme. We are really impressed to see the huge interest of highly skilled professionals in supporting young researchers and we warmly thank them all. We expect to have further editions of REBECA so that we can fully profit for this huge amount of expertise.
We have received 255 applications to participate in the programme. REBECA is designed to work with a maximum of 40 mentor/mentee couples, so we will need to evaluate and select 40 mentees out of the 255 candidates. As explained in the application form, we will do the evaluation according to the scoring given to each of the questions and to the CV and we will also try to try to ensure a good geographic, gender, and thematic distribution of candidates.
Scoring of the evaluation; these are the items we will be evaluating:
- We want to know about your research. Please, explain to a lego audience and in a plain language the goals and the social impact of your research (up to 25 points). Max 1200 characters
- Please explain your motivation for applying to this programme and what you expect to achieve (up to 25 points). Max 1200 characters
- Mentoring is a two-way relationship. List 3 qualities you bring to this mentoring programme (up to 25 points). Max 1200 characters
- What are, in your opinion, the main barriers for a smoother transition of researchers in academia towards non academic jobs (up to 25 points). Max 1200 characters
- Your CV (up to 3 pages): 25 points
- Matching of mentors and mentees according to their particular interests in the programme
- Kick off phase: includes training sessions for mentors and mentees to facilitate mentorship process
- Mentors and mentees to meet on average once a month
- Mentees to take specific online trainings (max 4-6 hours)
- Mentors and mentees to give feedback to EURAXESS
The application phase is now closed and we are currently evaluating the candidates.
EURAXESS Spain would like to thank the following organizations for sharing their knowledge and expertise in mentoring during the planning of REBECA